The client purchased this great starter home, but it needed a bit of work to bring it out of the 60s and into the present. They were looking for something neutral, contemporary and open concept. The original layout of this house was closed off. Each room separated by walls and doors, so that was the first to go! There was also only a bathroom upstairs or in the basement, and the client wanted to add a powder room on the main level, which would be convenient when entertaining and everyday living. The challenge was finding a spot to put it! We finally decided to change the old coat closet into the new powder room, and move the coat closet into the hallway. The kitchen was completely closed off so we decided to open it up and add extra storage, since the existing kitchen was quite small. The rest of the main level just needed to be opened up and updated. The bathroom upstairs also needed a big face lift.
Before: The Hallway looking into the kitchen. Where you see the hutch and chair, is where we decided to relocate the coat closet, which was originally to the left of the photo at the bottom of the stairs. To the right is the living room, closed off by a wall and sliding doors.
After: This shot is taken from the end of the hall closet looking in toward the kitchen. Since we took out most of the walls in the house, we needed to leave some support, which resulted in our feature firewood holder. The firewood holder can also be turned into a wine rack during the summer months when they’re not using their wood burning fireplace.
Before: The kitchen was dated and took us right back to the 60s. Although they had tried to update with their peel and stick backsplash, it didn’t even begin to make an impact. This kitchen even had an ironing board in the wall, which is on the right wall near the fridge. The only thing that could save this kitchen was complete overhaul. The layout didn’t work and it was completely closed off.
After: We removed the wall between the dining room and kitchen and added a peninsula to add extra work space, storage and seating. In the original layout the stove was tucked away in the far left corner which didn’t make sense, so we updated the layout. We moved the fridge to the corner, but added pantry storage next to it so it wouldn’t feel jammed in the corner. We then put the stove where the previous dishwasher was and moved the dishwasher to the peninsula. This created a great work flow in the kitchen. Having the peninsula as unobstructed counter space, it allows for lots of prep work to be done here. We wanted to keep the kitchen bright and open, so using all white cabinets on the far wall and white countertops did the trick. But to add a little interest to the kitchen, we did a light brownish grey peninsula and cabinet boarder.
Before: This was what should have been the dining room. They were using their kitchen as an eat in kitchen and used their dining room as a TV room. We wanted to get it back to it’s real function and create a dining space that was open to the kitchen and living room.
After: We knocked down the walls that separated the dining room from the rest of the house and opened it up completely. The table and benches were made by the homeowner (which look amazing!).
Before: The living room was closed off, dated and had awful popcorn ceilings and carpeting that just had to go.
After: We removed the walls, refinished the flooring that was underneath the carpet, re-drywalled, added pot lights and speakers, and gave it a fresh neutral coat of paint. The brick fireplace was updated with paint, a new insert, new tile, and a wood mantel. All the previous windows had been recently updated so they were able to stay.
Before: A coat closet, that we didn’t actually take any photos of since it was just a coat closet.
After: We had the challenge of fitting a full powder room into a coat closet, but we managed to find a space saving sink and toilet. The toilet tank is actually in the wall, and just the bowl sticks out in the room. The pocket door solved the problem of adding a door that didn’t have space to swing in or out because of the stairway and limited bathroom space.
Before: This was the bathroom upstairs, once again stuck in the 60s and everything had to go. The vanity had been cut at an angle to allow for the door to swing past it, and it was not aesthetically pleasing.
After: We gutted everything except for the tub. We left the existing layout since we didn’t want to move the tub and plumbing. We added a glass shower door, new tile and shower faucets to update the bath and shower. The floor was re-tiled with new white tile. We replaced the vanity completely with a prefab vanity and mirror set which fit perfectly in the previous spot (although we did make the door a little smaller to allow for more wall space for the vanity). We added new a new light fixture, faucet, hardware and shelving, and painted the walls a soothing blue to finish off the space.
All photography done by: Little Blue Anchor Studios
All design and styling done by: Charlotte Interiors
Most of the work done by the Homeowners.