We’ll it’s been a month since the last update on our Roslyn Reno and a lot has happened! We’re coming up on the home stretch now and in a few weeks it’ll be on the market and ready for new owners.
Luckily last week we had a few warm days where the ground thawed and we were finally able to plant the bushes we bought back in October. We didn’t plant them when we first bought them because we were waiting for them to build the new front stairs, but the contractor wanted to wait until all the dirty work inside was done first, so that we wouldn’t mess up the new stairs. So it was all a bit of a waiting game, but it finally worked out! We also were able to get the new front door installed and now our exterior is complete!
We’ve come a long way from the beginning.
Now we move into the porch. We’ve added new flooring, electric heat, new front door and new closet doors. It’s still waiting on lighting and paint, as is the rest of the house.
The before (ew):
Next up we have the dining room which use to be a wood panelled bedroom. We converted it back to the dining room with two entrances, added new flooring and trim. Don’t mind the light fixture hanging from the ceiling, that will be replaced.
After from another angle.
Another view of the before. Where this closet was, we’ve created a nook where you can place a console table or a china cabinet. It also includes a plug for a lamp or lights in your cabinet.
Next is the living room. In this room we changed the windows, trim and flooring, and opened up the entry to the kitchen and the stairs.
And now on to the kitchen (my favourite room in the house). This room was a complete gut job, where we completely reconfigured the layout and opened up the wall to the living room. We replaced the large window and moved the sink from the opposite wall over to under the window, and then added a dishwasher next to it. There previously was no dishwasher (the horror!!!!) Then we moved the fridge from the right side of the kitchen to the opposite wall and added a pantry next to it for storage. The range stayed relatively in the same spot, it just moved a few inches. Then we added a little breakfast bar that backs on to the living room. We also added pot lights for better lighting. We’re still waiting on countertops, backsplash, paint and lighting (pendants and over the sink) to be installed.
The other side:
Looking from the back porch.
Next we have the main floor bathroom. This bathroom was also gutted except for the bathtub, which was basically brand new when we bought the place. We replaced the window and added new floor and wall tile, and a new vanity. We also moved the shower head up to a normal height. We’re still waiting on the plumber to come back and install the fixtures. Lighting also still needs to be installed.
The main floor bedroom is housing all of our stuff at the moment (plus 2 toilets) so I don’t have a picture of this room to share. But not much changed in this room, just the closet door and all the trim.
Next we have the upstairs bathroom. This was also a gut job, since it was covered in pink and black tile and had a teeny tiny bathtub. So we changed the bathtub into a shower and retiled. We took out the long vanity and replaced it with a more modern vanity that still provides lots of counter space but doesn’t crowd the room as much. The flooring was changed to tile and the toilet is being replaced but will still remain in the same spot. We tried to reconfigure it but with how all the piping and everything was laid out, it had to remain in that space. This is also why we left that small wall there, but it also provides a little nook where we’re going to install hooks for hanging your towels.
Another angle from the entrance of the bathroom: This is the small wall that I’m talking about. The toilet will be hidden behind this little wall.
Now on to the master bedroom. The only thing that changed in here was the closet wall. We added a second closet for a His/Hers closet, and closed in the weird attic hatch. Now theres a good amount of closet space and an area to put a dresser. We also made sure to add a plug to the dresser nook so that you can put a TV or lamp on top of your dresser.
Before: (You can’t see the existing closet – the left one, but there’s the weird little attic hatch)
Now on to the 2nd Bedroom upstairs. We removed the huge built in unit which gave us 3 feet of extra space. Then we added a closet to the unused attic space behind the built in, and also left room for a dresser.
That’s all for now until we’re all finished, so stay tuned for a couple weeks!
If you’re currently in the process of a home exterior project, I’d love to hear from you! One of my friends has just had some remodeling work done by John McCarter Construction, the pictures look great.
If you’re thinking of getting some repairs on your home, you could visit their website to learn more about the services they offer.
Also if you or someone you know is interested in purchasing this house please don’t hesitate to reach out to me and I’ll add you to the list of interested buyers who will get the first look!